Everything You Need to Know About Applying for a Partner Visa


A partner visa is a document that allows you to live permanently in Australia; it also allows you to work and attend school in Australia.


For you to qualify for a partner visa, you must prove that you are married to an Australian permanent resident or you have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months (living together with an Australian permanent resident in a way that indicates you are a couple). You may come across an exemption for the latter; if you register your de-facto relationship with an Australian State or Territory, you qualify for a partner visa without the 12- month requirement.

De-Facto Relationship Registration

There are also some requirements when registering your de-facto relationship. You should be at least 18 years old, neither of you should be in another relationship or married to other people and you should not be related. 

Where Should You Start When Applying for a Partner Visa?

The first thing you need to know is that, before you apply for a partner visa, you are required to have held a temporary partner visa for at least two years. This means that you will first need to apply for a temporary partner visa.

The second thing you need to understand is that you need help. Don't make the mistake of applying for a temporary partner visa or partner visa without help. Sometimes, you might get lucky and go through the process without a hitch. Other times, you might experience a hectic process, featured by delays, time wastage, loss of your hard-earned money and visa refusal or denials.

Hire immigration lawyers who work with partner visas and temporary partner visa applications. The fees they charge are worth it because you get to go through a stress-free process, and you are guaranteed that your visa will be processed without problems or delays.

Understanding the Partner Visa Application Process

Find an immigration lawyer near you and enquire whether they can help you with the partner visa application process; if they can, make an appointment.

During the appointment, you will meet with an immigration lawyer who will listen to your needs. Expect to be asked different questions to help the immigration lawyer know whether you meet the requirements. If you do not meet the requirements, the immigration lawyer will inform you why and check whether anything can be done to help you meet the requirements.

You may be required to fill out different forms and collect, gather or provide copies of various documents like your government-issued ID, marriage certificate, police certificates, etc.

The immigration lawyer will then apply for the partner visa on your behalf and keep you updated on its progress until you are issued with the visa.


11 January 2021

Moving my family to Australia

I was an IT worker in Iraq before the war broke out. I knew that I wanted a life free of war and conflict for my family so I made the hardest decision I've ever had to make and moved my family to Australia for a new job. Over time I got my permanent residency, then we all became citizens. Eventually we have brought more of our family to Australia to share in our wonderful life here, including my parents and my wife's brother. This blog is all about the immigration processes needed to move to Australia, and then how you can assist your extended family to immigrate.